When it comes to cardiac therapy, Rockcastle Regional Hospital’s Cardiac Rehabilitation Program is designed to assist with improving exercise tolerance and promote the development of healthy behavior to improve an individual’s overall quality of life. Recovery from a heart attack or heart surgery only just begins when you leave the hospital. It’s important to take steps to improve your heart health to avoid another heart attack or cardiac event. These steps include eating healthy, exercising and, if you smoke, quitting.
Prime candidates for cardiac rehabilitation include patients with a variety of conditions:
- Heart attack
- Heart failure
- Bypass surgery
- Coronary artery disease
- Valve repair or replacement
Cardiac rehabilitation at Rockcastle Regional Hospital is designed to improve your quality of life after you have a heart attack or other heart conditions. Program goals include:
- Improve physical fitness
- Reduce cardiac symptoms
- Increase understanding of heart disease
- Support lifestyle changes
- Positive psychosocial well-being
Cardiac therapy at Rockcastle Regional Hospital is one of the most established and extensive programs in the region. When you participate in cardiac rehabilitation at Rockcastle Regional Hospital, you benefit from:
- Personalized rehab plan: Your specially trained cardiac rehab team includes a medical director, exercise physiologists, registered nurses and respiratory therapists. The team collaborates with your heart doctor to develop a health and wellness plan tailored to your specific needs and limitations.
- Care for everyone: Our cardiac rehab program is also for high-risk patients, such as those who have heart support devices like ventricular assist devices (VADs). Even if you don’t need treatment for heart disease, we can get you started on an exercise program to lower your risks for future problems.
- Convenience: If you receive heart care at Rockcastle Regional Hospital, our team will start you on the first phase of cardiac rehab during your hospital recovery. Continuing with the program is seamless and fast.
Cardiac therapy at Rockcastle Regional Hospital includes:
- A physical fitness program
- A strength training program
- Counseling and education
- Personalized education plans
Cardiac rehab allows patients to initiate a safe exercise regimen in an environment where the patient’s heart rhythms and rates are continuously monitored and assessed by our medically trained staff. The program encourages healthy lifestyle changes through an individualized treatment plan addressing nutritional, psychological, and physical deficits. Our goal is to help patients return to their prior level of function, improve heart strength and prevent further damage in the blood vessels.
The benefits of cardiac therapy at Rockcastle Regional Hospital are:
- Improvement in aerobic
- Improvement in endurance
- Increased knowledge and understanding of heart disease including risk factors and how to manage the disease
- Increased knowledge of medications and their side effects
- Health maintenance
- Decreased mortality rate when compared to patients who do not complete cardiac rehabilitation
- Increased chance of avoiding disability
- Decreased risk of sudden death due to heart disease
- Decreased risk of future heart attack
- Reduced number of episodes of reduced blood flow to the heart
- Lowered blood pressure
- Decreased level of triglycerides and bad cholesterol
- Increased levels of good cholesterol
When it comes to cardiac therapy, no other place does cardiac rehabilitation better than Rockcastle Regional Hospital.